Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Garden Goodies

There was very little tatting done in the Piney Woods yesterday but, I managed to get a lot of garden work done.  One thing though, I did get too hot and am paying for that mistake today.  I'm drained, so I think I'll sit in my comfy chair and tat the day away.

Here are some images from our garden:


One of the many bowls I filled with tomatoes, purple hull peas, squash, Christmas beans, speckled butterbeans & figs.


This is a Christmas beanpod.


And these are Christmas beans- they are a type of very large speckled butterbean.  My bunch loves them!


While the beefsteak tomatoes are ripe & plentiful, my roma tomatoes are taking their time ripening.  I'm ready to make some homemade salsa- they need to hurry up!


And our huge fig tree is just LOADED with figs!  I'll be making fig preserves this weekend and will probably bake a fig poundcake.  Big Daddy is awfully fond of my fig poundcakes!

Well, I am going to make a fresh pitcher of mint iced tea and then settle in my favorite tatting spot.  Have a great day & until tomorrow~
Happy Tatting!












6 comments:

  1. We've only had cherry tomatoes from our garden so far, but they've been delicious! We used to grow Christmas beans back when Dave was a vegetable farmer, 20 years ago. We didn't call them Christmas beans, though and I forget what we did call them. They were always big sellers at farmers' market, but Dave and the girls wouldn't touch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cornucopia from your garden is as gorgeous as your tatted creations!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen Christmas beans before, your figs look gorgeous and I don't know what fig pound cake is either, is that a type of cake?

    Have a nice day
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice post to read in a cold winter day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope my figs make it before the birds and squirrels get them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing what's in your garden! I think I would love to make fig preserves - I don't think fig trees grow well here in Minnesota. I have only had zucchini squash so far from my garden - the tomatoes and peppers are really trying, though!

    ReplyDelete